Once websites become popular, communication becomes increasingly difficult to manage.
On one hand, I want people’s questions, experiences and opinions. QEO is the lifeblood of community websites.
On the other hand, private communications are a huge time cost problem. They can take hours to respond to, with no content gain.
Therefore, the key is to encourage public contributions wherever possible. And, make it easy for people to communicate privately. But, private message senders must be aware that:
- Their message is public for me, unless they make it clear it’s not for publication.
- Public messages always get priority, so private messages can take months at certain times.
The urgency issue can be partially resolved by asking to post a “you have private mail” message. That should include the title of the message. I can even set up a private messages to Keith topic in the most appropriate KeČaTa forum.
Private Messages To Keith Taylor
The best way to implement this is through KISS Helpdesk:
- Change Feedback concept. Encourage feedback to specific improvement page, or general site improvement page. That should be link, not form.
- Change Help buttons to “Website Help” or similar.
- Merge all desks to KISS. Possibly keep one as a client example (in which case confirmation email should go to KISS to trigger a ticket).
- Improve Helpdesk title from “Keith Taylor’s Public Internet Helpdesk”.
- Change “Subject” to “Short Interesting Summary Sentence” and move below message.
- Helpdesk form extra box at end: “Why don’t you want to use my forum for your message?”
- Change KISS Helpdesk solutions. Scrap existing, and rebuild based on new message titles.
- Only use embedded forms. Make them specific to projects, eg Gout Group Wizard suggestions.
- Search for links to GoutPal Helpdesk and delete or change them.
- Help Button Candidates
That will do for today. I’ve also done Kepithany for Evolving QEO/VEO.
Now it’s time for a walk and some family time. Just time for a picture.